Choosing our battles.
I am furious: shaking with anger and frustration. Because after 13.5+ years of living with diabetes, the number one frustration continues to be fighting for access to supplies and the tools I need to treat my diabetes.
The latest scenario is this (skip to the end if you don’t want to read the emotional, nitty gritty detail part and want a tl;dr):
I changed jobs last year, and thus I had new insurance. New insurance = new authorization for all the things diabetes wise. For those of you unfamiliar, this is a long list: pump; pump supplies (reservoirs and sites); insulin; CGM receiver; CGM transmitter; CGM sensors, test strips, etc.
The biggest battle this time was for getting approval for my CGM, which I’ve been using for years. But I had to re-prove that the autoimmune disease that I have has not in fact gone away. So I did. But my CGM authorization request was denied, because my blood sugars were “too good”.
Sigh. (So maybe that’s the one “downside” to an artificial pancreas?)
I fought the denial with an appeal. Finally, after many phone calls and hoop jumping, they overturned the decision and granted approval. My CGM receiver, transmitter, and 3 months of sensors were shipped on March 15. Hooray! I figured my problems were solved until I switched insurances again in the future.
But wait, there’s more.
I waited very carefully until the end of June, past the three month mark of when I had got my first batch of sensors, to put in the order for the next 3 months worth of CGM sensors. I placed my order, went on a trip, got back to Seattle, and assumed they were floating their way to me.
I received a phone call today informing me that the supply company was working on the authorization for my CGM sensors..but couldn’t submit it because my doctor’s chart notes were older than 6 months. My response was, “why do you need an authorization? I had one three months ago.”
Turns out, the insurance only authorized me for CGM sensors until April 30. The order shipped as soon as authorization was received was dated March 15, so they knew there was no way I could submit another order for them before June 15.
Anyone else see the problem here? They knew I would have to go through this process AGAIN. It’s not like my non-curable type 1 diabetes was going to go away in the three months, thus my need for CGMs to help me manage said diabetes did not go away, either.
But in the meantime, I’m also calling my endo to change my appointment and fighting the battle for personally getting my CGM approved and probably paying 100% out of pocket for a box or two of sensors to tide me over.